Friday, April 6, 2012

FOLLOW FRIDAY (22) and TGIF (11)

Gain New Blog Followers
Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts, Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!


This Week's Feature Blogs:
The Talking Teacup
The Talking Teacup

romanceaholic Feature & Follow #91
The Romanceaholic



Q: Have you ever bought a book BECAUSE of a bad review?



The only book I remember buying due to a negative review was Desperate Duchesses by Eloisa James.  This is a historical romance that, while having a main love story, could be considered an ensemble piece.  A review I found gave the book a "D" due to the multiple points of view and disliking the heroine. 

I will admit that I am a fan of James's work and would probably have bought the book eventually, but the review made me go out and buy it immediately.  I really enjoy ensemble romances since it keeps the story from getting stale and, even though it was an issue for the reviewer, I thought it would work out well for me.  And I was right!  It isn't my favorite book by far, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and the rest of the series.







*******
I have created different ways for you to follow my blog: GFC, LinkyFollowers, email, Twitter, or Goodreads.  Comment, follow me, and I'll return the favor!!


********************


Hosted by Ginger at GReads.

This Friday's Question 
Book Series Finales: Which book, from any series has been your favorite ending? What about your least favorite ending?

Favorite Endings:

*Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by JK Rowling 
My all-time favorite series!  Loved almost everything about this book and will re-read it for the rest of my life.

*The Iron Knight (Iron Fey #4) by Julie Kagawa
Love reading Ash's point of view and seeing how much he is willing to through for Meghan.  Great ending for an extremely creative series!

*Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins
I know some fans did not like this one as much, but I really enjoyed it.  I loved the unpredictable nature of it and how Collins didn't just tie everything up with a pretty, sparkly bow.  It ended the way I figured a series as dark as this one should end.

*Shadowfever (Fever #5) by Karen Marie Moning
Absolutely epic urban fantasy ending!  So much is thrown at you that you can't help but keep reading until the end.  Plus bonus points for continuing the twists that make the series so fantastic and for leaving the world open for more Barrons and Mac!

Least Favorite Ending:

*What Janie Found (Face on the Milk Carton #4) by Caroline B. Cooney
I really enjoyed the premise of this series: teenage girl sees a picture of her on a milk carton claiming that she is missing and tries to find out the truth.  The first two books were intriguing and, while the third book was a slight disappointment, I was interested to see how everything would work out.  This conclusion offered little insight into what actually happened to Janie and didn't really mesh with the rest of the series.  The characters acted in completely different ways and it just seemed pointless by the end.

**********************



**BOOKS READ**
Cinder by Marie Sexton--3.5 Stars


**REVIEWS**
Fire Baptized by Kenya Wright (link)

**BLOG FEATURES**
READS IN REVIEW: March 2012 (link)
TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books To Read in a Day (link)
MY BOOK BOYFRIEND: Vane Kattalakis from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Night Play (link)

18 comments:

  1. I love love love Eloisa James. You can't go wrong with her :)

    For me it was "Fifty Shades of Grey"

    Happy reading this week!

    Follow Friday @ the Brunette Librarian's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when it works out the opposite way! Following.

    Check out my ebook giveaway if ya get a chance too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly why I think negative reviews are so important - if they're written well and talk about WHY the reviewer didn't like the book, it can actually end up making someone buy it because that's something that they like! What doesn't work for one person can totally work for someone else.

    Thanks for stopping by! Old follower. :)
    Andie
    My Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I loved the ending to the HP series too. That series is so magical. And I have not read Iron Knight because I thought it was the last in the series but now with another book coming out int he world of, I might just do. Ash was my favorite character in the series!

    And I'm so curious what the pros/cons are for Mockingjay. Am reading THG right now but I did hear that some disliked it. Glad to hear that someone did love it!

    Thanks for stopping by earlier and sharing your thoughts for TGIF! Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great example! A good negative review says what the person disliked and you can use your own judgement!

    Thanks for stopping by LIO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower hopping through! Great post! I followed you through GCF and Linky Tools - you can return the favour over at http://www.bethebooks.blogspot.com :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Desperate Duchesses too - although I didn't see many negative reviews. But I do think the cover is horrendous - it doesn't capture what a wonderful book it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting choices - I had Harry Potter as well, although Mockingjay made it onto my 'worst' list - people's opinions seem split pretty much 50-50 on that one! Mine are at YA Yeah Yeah if you'd like to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't done it. There are so many books in the world. I try to find the good ones!

    My follow friday

    Old follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read that one, which is surprising because I love Eloisa James :P

    I've bought a bunch of books based on bad reviews, if for nothing else than to see if they were really as bad as others claimed :P

    Thanks for stopping by! Following back :)

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've started The Hunger Games series but I haven't finished it yet! I am really anxious and excited to see how it ends. I am also dying to read Julie's series!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I've read books after reading negative reviews, just because the review made me aware of a book that I new I'd like, even if the reviewer didn't. I've never decided to read a book though, just because I wondered if was a bad as the person said, if that makes sense. Does that makes sense? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's like I was saying on another fellow bloggers FF post, for me it's more about learning to give author's and new books the benefit of the doubt and not relying so heavily on what other's have to say about it regarding negative or positive hype.

    Great answer, by the way. Following your blog for sure and hopping through. Have a fantastic weekend!

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    My Follow & Feature Friday!
    The Immortal Rules Giveaway!
    The JLA Covenant Series Swag Giveaway!
    H A P P Y R E A D I N G ! ! !
    susanhaugland@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Same happens very often when I read negative reviews, too. I just know that I'll like the book or at least am very sure that thebook might be something for me. :)

    Patricia // My FF

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't go for books that have too many negative reviews, but I'm glad you enjoyed your book. :)
    A loved HP, too. But I wasn't a fan of the ending....
    Thanks for stopping by my FF! Following you on Twitter now.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely - other people's -ves can be +ves for you :)

    Following from FF - sorry it's taken me a while to get round to you! It's my first week joining in, I hope you might have time to visit my FF post.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.