Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MY BOOK BOYFRIEND (31): Rehvenge


My Book Boyfriend is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader all about fictional boys who make us swoon.  This week I am swooning over: 

REHVENGE
from
Lover Avenged by JR Ward (BDB #7)


About Rehvenge:
  • Black hair in a mohawk, purple eyes, tanned skin
  • Half-vampire; half-sympath (subspecies that feeds off emotions)
  • Dopes up in order to prevent his emotion-feeding tendencies
  • Nickname: The Reverend
  • Owner of ZeroSum nightclub in Caldwell, New York.
  • Pimp and drug dealer
  • Older brother to Bella, shellan to Brother Zsadist (Lover Awakened) and uncle to Nalla.
Why I Love Rehvenge:
  • He's a good cook.
  • Very protective of those he cares about: Bella, Nalla, his mother, Xhex, Ehlena.
  • Feels unworthy of love due to being part-sympath and a drug dealer/pimp.
  • Has an interesting..."body mutation", for lack of a better term, that could mean some intriguing nights ahead for his lucky lady.
Okay, so she wasn't his in the slightest.  He knew her name only because it was on the blue and white pin on her coat.  He saw her only when he came to be treated.  And she didn't like him at all.  But, he still thought of her as his and that was just the way of it.  The thing was, they had something in common, something that crossed species lines and eclipsed social stratification and bonded them together even though she would have denied it.


He was careful as he got off the exam table and drew that fur coat on, the sable widening the great width of his shoulders until he loomed even from across the room.  With his eyes on her, he took his cane and came over slowly, as if he were unsure of his balance . . .and his reception.  
"Thank you," he said.
God, the words were so simple and so commonly spoken, and yet, coming from him, they meant more than she was comfortable with.  Actually, it was less how he expressed himself than his expression: there was a vulnerability in that amethyst stare, buried deep within it.



He'd done a lot of evil deeds over the course of his life.  Big ones and small. . . 
And yet, none of that had bothered him at the time.  There had been no second thoughts, no regrets, no empathy.  Just more schemes, more plans, more angles to be discovered and exploited.  Here at this empty table, though, in this empty penthouse, he felt the ache in his chest and knew it for what it was: regret.  
It would have been extraordinary to deserve Ehlena.  But that was just one more thing he wasn't ever going to feel.





"But I wish I had better clothes.  Then I'd be beautiful."
Rehvenge paused.  And then he shocked the crap out of her by kneeling before her.
As he looked up, he had a slight smile on his lips, "Don't you get it, Ehlena?"
With gentle hands, he stroked down her calf and brought her foot forward, balancing it on his thigh.  As he undid the laces of her cheapo Keds sneaker, he whispered, "No matter what you wear...to me, you will always have diamonds on the soles of your shoes."



But Ehlena didn't remove her hand, "Is that why?"
"I didn't want you to know about any of this.  I wanted to . . . be normal for you.  I wanted you to feel safe around me . . . and I wanted to be with you.  That's the why of lying.  I didn't mean to fall in love with you.  I didn't want that for you--"
"What did you say?"
"I . . . I'm in love with you.  I'm sorry, but that's the way I feel."

My Rehvenge: David Beckham

11 comments:

  1. Mutation huh? Never since Xmen and wolverine has that word sounded sexy...Lol...SO love tower quotes! The bdb owns my book boyfriend posts from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! :) I really do need to reread these books...

    By the way, how do you post the pic and quote like that, with the different colored background beneath it? I've seen many bloggers do it in their post, and I've been trying to figure out how!

    Enjoy!
    TBQ
    TBQ's Book Palace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so surprised how much I loved Rhev. I was skeptical of the book since he's not a member of the BDB, but I found that he was one of my favorites! I think it has to do with the fact that he has such a bad boy image but soft and vulnerable heart. Those kind of guys KILL me! Love this series =)

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still need to read this one, but hell, I love it!! It's hot! :D Great picks of quotes! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I heard so much about this series and I still haven't gotten to them yet! Shame on me! I do have the first book... And I saw a bunch of them in the bookstore. *sigh*
    In any case... this guy sounds amazing!

    Oh and I saw you're reading Blood Promise! That's my favorite book in the VA series! :D Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hottie Beckhan! Great pick. I haven´t read this series, but I´m already wanting to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I never considered it before, but yes, DB would make a great Rehv. I think of all the brothers, it too me the longest to warm up to Rehv. He scared me from the start, but then he totally stole my heart. Gah! Now I feel like reading the whole series again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely need to read this series too, DB is good looking and seems to fit the character as you describe him!! thanks!! http://bookfanatic89.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-book-boyfriend-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Rehv! I LURVE HIM! I actually didn't like him until his book, but boy he won me over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I . . . I'm in love with you. I'm sorry, but that's the way I feel."
    awww and David Beckham is so HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this series yet, but I totally am now! Between the quotes and pictures of David I'm already in love with him - thank you for sharing! :)

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-book-boyfriend-3-ezekiel-crosse.html

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.