Wednesday, March 14, 2012

MY BOOK BOYFRIEND (29): James Easton


My Book Boyfriend is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader all about fictional boys who make us swoon.  This week I am swooning over James Easton from Y.S. Lee's historical mystery series, The Agency.  This series currently includes three books: A Spy in the House, The Body at the Tower, and The Traitor in the Tunnel with a fourth, and final, book to be published, Rivals in the City.  I listened to the first two books on audiobook so I am relying on Goodreads for quotes from those two.

About James:
  • Very intelligent.
  • Engineer in Victorian London.
  • Extremely protective of his family especially his older brother.
  • Has very firm ideas about morality and justice.
  • Is not afraid to change his opinions about certain topics when proven wrong.
  • Loves to bicker with Mary Quinn.


He looked . . . wonderful.  Partly because he was James Easton, clever, sardonic, intense, and far and away the most interesting man she'd ever met. --The Traitor in the Tunnel


He laughed, then became serious once more. "Mary............"
The expression in his eyes set her heart pounding. "Yes?"
Twice he began to frame a sentence, and twice his voice seemed to fail him.
And she thought she understood. What could he possibly say to her now, when he was on the verge of leaving forever? Even something as simple as asking her to write to him carried a distinct sort of promise, the type of promise he was ten years and a half a world removed from being able to make. --A Spy in the House



"I’m so sorry. I don’t think the etiquette manuals cover this sort of situation." He leaned in close, his lips all but grazing her neck, and inhaled. "Mmm. You smell good, too."
She nearly choked. Took a step backwards, until her back met cold stone. "Th-thank you."
"That’s better. May I kiss you?" His finger dipped into her shirt collar, stroking the tender nape of her neck.
"I d-don’t th-think that’s a good idea."
"Why not? We’re alone." His hands were at her waist.
Her lungs felt tight and much too small. "Wh-what if somebody comes in?"
He considered for a moment. "Well, I suppose they’ll think I fancy grubby little boys." --The Body at the Tower



Her arms locked around his neck -- she couldn't help it.  She clung to him, the fixed point in the giddy, tilting universe, and reveled in the taste, the feel, the scent of him.  He was the only man she'd ever kissed, the only one she could imagine igniting this trembling hunger, this need within her.  He stroked the length of her back, and she wanted to purr like a cat.  Shedding her gloves with clumsy haste, she raked her fingers through his hair and was rewarded with a sharp hiss.  He caught one hand and, pressing a fierce kiss into her palm, guided it beneath his jacket so she could feel the heat of him, the mad hammering of his heart against her bare skin.  --The Traitor in the Tunnel


"What utter balderdash!  You're the most appallingly decisive person I know."
He sighed dramatically.  "Still rubbish at compliments.  You know, Mary, the way round a man is to praise his unequalled discernment, not insult his skills."  --The Traitor in the Tunnel



He smiled. "I suppose I thought we'd have a madly impractical, terrifyingly modern sort of marriage. One based on love. Not to mention dangerous undertakings and hair's-breadth escapes from burning buildings, high ledges and exploding sewers."
"And bickering."
"Always that, yes."
"Assuming I want to marry at all."
"True. I know of no good way of forcing you to do anything."
"And you're mad enough to think it could work - one day?"
He cupped her face in his hands. His smile was so brilliant it seemed to illuminate the room. "I think it would be heaven."
She trembled, then. "You have a very strange idea of heaven."
"Kiss me and see." --The Traitor in the Tunnel


My James: James McAvoy

About the first book in The Agency series:


Rescued from the gallows in 1850s London, young orphan (and thief) Mary Quinn is surprised to be offered a singular education, instruction in fine manners — and an unusual vocation. Miss Scrimshaw’s Academy for Girls is a cover for an all-female investigative unit called The Agency, and at seventeen, Mary is about to put her training to the test. Assuming the guise of a lady’s companion, she must infiltrate a rich merchant’s home in hopes of tracing his missing cargo ships. But the household is full of dangerous deceptions, and there is no one to trust — or is there? Packed with action and suspense, banter and romance, and evoking the gritty backstreets of Victorian London, this breezy mystery debuts a daring young detective who lives by her wits while uncovering secrets — including those of her own past. 

11 comments:

  1. James McAvoy is so sexy! Love him! I don't read much historical fiction, but I like the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those James quotes are absolute swoonworthy. Love him when he finally confesses his love for Mary. I can NOT wait for the forth book :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! James playing James!

    I love a good bickering session. So fun! And I think James' idea of Heaven sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He smart and he cute! I so have to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You say victorian London and you say James McAvoy and I'm sold :D
    And those quotes... oh, where has it been so far? I want this book now!

    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I've been wanting to read this series! He sounds like a lot of fun and I love a clever man! Nice pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love James McAvoy! Same name as your book boyfriend, lol.

    I just swapped for the first book in this series, which I discovered because of you. I hope I like this character as much as you do. I usually love any character named 'James,' since it's one of my favorite names (for some reason).

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOoooooW I want a guy like that!! I love him! :P :) He is amazingly fantastic! Great pick!! :) ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm not usually into historical fiction, but i'm totally checking these books out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, great choice! I'm not even into historical fiction and already this James guy makes me want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.