Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY (12): Books for Non-Readers


Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
 TOP TEN BOOKS I'D GIVE A NON-READER

1. Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone by JK Rowling
I'm sure this will be a popular choice, but how can I not mention the book that got an entire generation to read for pleasure?

2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Another popular title for similar reasons to HP.

3. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
This book is used by high schools to inspire reluctant readers.  It is funny, realistic, and full of intriguing cartoons to grab the readers' attention.

4. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
The first in the ten book series that the popular Disney movie is loosely based on.  Mia's personality is wonderfully written and the situations she finds herself in are hilarious. 

5. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
One of the funniest books I've ever read.  The glossary at the back of the book alone is work the price.  I can see many teenage girls giggling over Georgia's antics.  How can you resist that title?

6. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
Anything by John Green would work, but this is my personal favorite.  Side story: my brother is not a huge reader, but I recommended this to him because of the narrator's affinity for math.  He read it in a single day and then gave it to all his other non-reading friends.

7. Naked in Death by JD Robb
The first book in the epic In Death series featuring the wonderful Eve and Roarke.  A great combination of murder mystery, futuristic science fiction, and romance.  This series always reminds me of popular TV dramas like Cold Case and Law & Order. 

8. Hounded by Kevin Hearne
A hilarious urban fantasy that tells the story of an ancient druid who passes as a twenty-something slacker in modern-day Arizona.  Atticus's conversations with his dog, Oberon, are some of my favorite scenes in literature.  Reluctant readers will be attracted to the humor and the action scenes.

9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A classic that most people were assigned to read in high school.  Lee's use of the young Scout as a narrator to some harsh events has stuck with me and I think will appeal to many non-readers.

10. Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman
A graphic novel that is actually a biography of the writer's father's experience during the Holocaust with animals in place of human characters.  Jews are depicted as mice while Germans are depicted as cats.  Absolutely engrossing!!

8 comments:

  1. Maus made my list as well! I haven't heard of Hounded, but it sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Kill a Mockingbird is a fantastic starter book! Hunger Games and Harry Potter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Maus is a great one; I almost put in on my Top 10 today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I have totally for got about Angus Thongs! I loved those books in HS, my friend and I got so many laughs from those books!!
    HP is on my list too :) a popular series to recommend.
    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/top-10-tuesdays-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent reasoning for "To Kill a Mockingbird", I think you may be right.

    You can see my list here.

    On an unrelated note, when I was a little girl I had a picture in my room of the green reading fairy on the top left of this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love The Hunger Games and Harry Potter! Great list and thanks for stopping by my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Abundance of Katherines story...must read it ASAP as I'm a new John Green fan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read half the books in your list. And I have to agree with the fact that your list is awesome! Now I'll have to go pick up An Abundance of Katherines...

    Thanks for visiting my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.