Friday, February 17, 2012

FOLLOW FRIDAY (16) and TGIF (7)

Gain New Blog Followers
Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts, Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!


This Week's Feature Blogs:



Q: I like unique names for characters and am looking forward to coming up with some when I start writing. What's the most unique character name you've come across?


I am a huge fan of unique names in books as long as it makes sense in context.  I thought the best way to approach this question was to go by genre:

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy:

*Katniss -- The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
*Hermione -- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
*Penryn -- Angelfall by Susan Ee
*Cesaria -- Downside Ghosts series by Stacia Kane
*Jericho -- Fever series by Karen Marie Moning
*Acheron, Zarek -- Darkhunters series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
*Eidolon, Wraith, Shade -- Demonica series by Larissa Ione
*Rhage, Vishous, Zsadist, Xhex, etc. -- Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward

Historical:

*Calpurnia -- Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
*Peregrine -- Last Night's Scandal by Loretta Chase
*Linnet -- When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
*Lazarus -- Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt
*Marcelline -- Silk Is for Seduction by Loretta Chase
*Smite -- Unraveled by Courtney Milan 
(Note: This is not his Christian name...his real name is "The Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every living thing, as I have done."  His brothers, Ash and Mark, have similarly awful names, but I thought Smite's nickname was the worse.  To explain the Biblical verse names, their mother was fanatically religious and a little bit insane.)

Contemporary:
*Haven -- This Summer by Sarah Dessen
*Emerson -- Airhead Trilogy by Meg Cabot
*Cricket -- Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
*Augustus -- The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
*Jules -- Hot Target, Force of Nature by Suzanne Brockmann
*Blue -- Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips


*************************

Hosted by Ginger at GReads!!

This Friday's Question:

Book Blogger Pride: What do you take pride in when it comes to blogging?
I take pride in the work that I put into my blog.  I am fairly new to the blogging world (since June 2011) so I am still learning the best ways to organize my reviews and balance the reviews with book memes.  Alot of time is spent improving my blog design or keeping all my book information updated.  I also am proud of my book reviews which I try to make as detailed and helpful as possible without spoilers.  I am a former English major so I do have to stop myself from becoming too long-winded in my reviews, but I'm working on that.  Blogging is definitely a time consuming hobby, but one that I have thoroughly enjoyed and am very proud of.
**********************
WEEKLY RECAP
TOP TEN TUESDAY: Books That Broke My Heart (link)
MY BOOK BOYFRIEND: Eidolon from Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione (link)
REVIEW: Squeeze Play by Kate Angell (link)
REVIEW: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead (link)

12 comments:

  1. As long as you still enjoy it, and as long as you keep taking time and effort to improve, you should be proud. it's not easy being a book blogger - but it's definitely worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking the other day about how I loved the name Hermione, but would never be able to name my kids that because it's so unique that it would instantly be associated with Harry Potter. But I didn't even think of Katniss! I love all of the names in Hunger Games so much! Hope you have a great Friday :)

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should most definitely be proud of all the work you put into your blog!! I love the look and feel of it, and your reviews are excellent :)

    As for names? I love the name Haven! (I just love Dessen and her name choices!)


    Check out my TGIF / Follow Friday post this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list! I <3 Hermione. :D

    - New follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks!! Katniss is such a great name :)

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi :)

    Thank you for stopping by my FF and following!!;)
    I recognize so many names on your list! Katniss, Zsadist *swoon* ;)

    Great to find another YA and Adult awesome book lover! Loved that your as much a fan of Bones and that you're living with Terrible Fever as I am!!;)!
    I'm reading Sacrificial Magic right now btw...did you know that it's on netgalley??

    In case youre interested I'm co-hosting a Stacia/Stacey blog giveaway hop with two other blogger buddies of mine as well as help from the authors in honor of the release of Sacrificial Magic & Blood on the Bayou.
    http://MissVainsParanormalFantasy.com/?p=1278

    Thanks again, and I'm a new follower via GFC :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great names! I thought about Cricket that is such a weird name. I loved his character. I also like Acheron and Cesaria. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm an old follower on GFC but now I am following on twitter too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to say out the LOTR hobbit names aloud as they were like tongue twisters for me. Also, For the first couple of chapters I used to read "Peeta from Hunger games" as Peter in my mind!!!!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    http://b00kr3vi3ws.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by the blog for FF! Just followed you back via GFC! Great name choices. See - I totally forgot about Penryn, lol!

    Jamie @ Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You went really above and beyond with the names! There are definitely a lot unique names out there and you just gave me a bunch of new ones! Following back, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *sobs with joy* There's just... so many... good... NAAAAAAMES!

    Awesome, awesome list! :) I'm really intrigued by Penryn and Cesaria.

    New follower! <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry a little late in posting a reply, thanks for visiting and following. Returned the favor.

    My FF Here (I was Featured YAY)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.