Tuesday, January 17, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY:Books I'd Recommend for Someone Who Doesn't Read Romance

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

TOP TEN BOOKS I'D RECOMMEND TO SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T READ ROMANCE

A significant amount of the books I read are romance of some type.  My two favorite subgenres of romance are paranormal and historical.  Therefore, I have decided to recommend five of each of those categories.

**Historical Romance
1. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
This is known, in romance circles, as one of the best ever written.  The popular review website All About Romance has had this book as the number one in their reader-voted poll of Top 100 Romances in both 2007 and 2010.  The characters of Lord Dain and Jessica Trent are some of the most developed and intriguing in historical romance.  There is plenty of humor, drama, and, of course, love to satisfy any type of reader. 

2. Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer
A historical romance that takes place in 1940s Georgia and tells the story of Will Parker, an ex-convict, and Ellie Dinsmore, a plain widow.  Both Will and Ellie are tortured souls that slowly begin to heal with their romance.  The plot is fairly simplistic though it does cover significant points in American history like World War II.  Morning Glory is a gut-wrenching, but ultimately satisfying love story that I have read time and time again. 

3. Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath
Another American historical, but is set in the post-Civil War south.  Clayton Holland was imprisoned during the war for refusing to fight for the Confederacy and must deal with his hometown's scorn upon his return.  While there is a romance that is focused on, I found this story to be so much more.  Clayton's treatment and how he deals with it is a true test of character.  The concept of courage and what make someone courageous is primary in this book.  It is a tearjerker, but worth the sadness when it comes to the satisfying conclusion.

4. The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn
This is the second book in JQ's popular Bridgerton series and is my personal favorite of hers.  The battle of wills between Anthony Bridgerton and Kate Sheffield is hilarious and poignant at the same time.  It reminded me strongly of William Shakespeare's The Taming of Shrew.  Plus if you enjoy this book, you will love the rest of the Bridgerton series which tells the love stories of all of Anthony's seven brothers and sisters. 

5. The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley
A seemingly typical historical romance that becomes epic due to its hero, Ian.  Ian suffers from a type of autism that makes life very difficult for him especially in the 19th century.  The way that Ashley portrays Ian and his relationship with Beth is moving and realistic. 

**Paranormal Romance
1. Dark Lover by JR Ward
The first book in Ward's epic Black Dagger Brotherhood series.  If you like original takes on vampire mythology, I recommend you check this series out.  The creativity and readability is impeccable.  It has been compared on quite a few sites as literary crack (or crahck if you've read the series).  Dark Lover is a wonderful introduction to the world and the series only gets better as you get further into it.

2. Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh
Another first to a wonderful PNR series.  Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling world is creative and thought-provoking.  It is a world of shapeshifters, psychics, and regular humans that try to interact with each other.  The series is full of wonderful characters and an overarching plot that will keep you gobbling up the pages.  Lucas and Sascha (the main characters in StS) are one of my favorite couples in romance.

3. Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione
The Demonica series is probably my favorite paranormal series as a whole.  Ione sets up a world where demons live amongst humanity and have a society/culture all their own.  The main setting for the books is Underworld General Hospital (UGH!) which is a demon-only hospital run by a trio of incubus brothers.  Fair warning that the spiciness in this series is off the charts, but the worldbuilding and the characters are to die for!

4. Demon From the Dark by Kresley Cole
This is the tenth installment of Cole's Immortals After Dark series that tells of a world where immortal beings secretly live amongst humans.  The series includes everything from demons to vampires to werewolves to Valkyries.  Demon From the Dark is my personal favorite of the series and is probably one of the few that *could* be read without reading the rest of the series.  Try reading this and not falling in love with Malkom, the tortured vampiric demon hero!


5. Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters series is an epic ride that currently has twenty-one installments across various spinoffs and novellas.  The world is detailed and creative, full of mythological creatures and powerful mortals.  Night Pleasures is the beginning of the series and introduces readers to a world of tortured warriors, kick ass heroines, and vicious bad guys.

4 comments:

  1. I don't usually read romance, but some of these do sound good. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll see which ones I can get my hands on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I don't really like Romance but I will have to give some of these a shot. Thanks for visiting my Top Ten. Thanks for sharing. =]
    Here is My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I love a good romance every once in awhile but I don't know the genre very well. I'm definitely adding these to the TBR when I'm in the mood for a romantic romp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyday more I am getting into Adult Romance - and every day I love it more!! :) :) I decided I will read Dark Lover! It seems great! Thanks for sharing! ;) :)

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.