Tuesday, January 31, 2012

TOP TEN TUESDAY (11): Book Club Picks

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
TOP TEN BOOKS I THINK WOULD MAKE GREAT BOOK CLUB PICKS




1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I'm sure this is a popular choice, but I couldn't not put it in here.  There is so much going on in Collins's world and so much parallels to our own world that I would love to discuss with other bibiophiles.










2. Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
A recent contemporary romance that has had an short, but interesting life in the blogosphere.  There have been quite a few debates regarding Fifty's origins as Twilight fanfiction, the BDSM premise, and the author's writing style. 











3. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
A historical fiction that, in my opinion, has something for everyone: romance, time travel, adventure, war, history, etc.  It can get a little overwhelming so it would be great to discuss in order to make sure you didn't miss anything.








4. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
One of the most intriguing concepts I've read in a long time.  The main character is a graduate student who is researching a historical figure known as the Pink Carnation, a contemporary of the Scarlet Pimpernel.  The story goes back and forth between the grad student's research experiences, which is much more interesting than you would think, and the actual story of the Pink Carnation during the French Revolution.







5. Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath
A historical romance that is so much more than a love story because it tells the tale of a young Southern man, Clayton, who was imprisoned for refusing to fight in the Civil War.  The war ends, he heads back to his hometown, and must deal with the townspeople's resentment due to the fact that almost all their young men were killed in battle.  This book deals with the true meaning of courage and is extremely thought-provoking.






6. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
One of the most popular romance novels ever written.  I would love to have a book club full of non-romance readers check it out to see if it can continue its reputation of being a wonderful conversion tool. 







7. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A polarizing young adult book that deals with the suicide tapes of a teenage girl which are passed around to the people who are "to blame" for her death.  Deals with many key issues like rape, bullying and, of course, suicide.










8. Naked in Death by JD Robb
I chose this based on pure entertainment value.  The way that Robb mixes mystery, science fiction, and romance is wonderful.  Plus all the women could gush over the sexiness that is Roarke!






9. Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
An urban fantasy with one of my favorite heroines ever!  There are so many twists and turns that it would be fun to discuss all the possible scenarios with a group. 











10. Night by Elie Wiesel
One of the few assigned books that I loved in high school.  I am not a huge fan of nonfiction or memoirs, but Wiesel's tale of the Holocaust is engrossing and appalling at the same time.

8 comments:

  1. Everyone's picks are so different this week. I love it. Great list.

    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews
    My Top Ten...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with The Hunger Games!! And Fifty Shades of Grey seems a really good read. I should pick it up! Thanks for sharing! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Outlander! Good one. You're right: it's got a little something (or a lot something) for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I could handle reading Night again! We read it in school and I cried in the middle of class! Don't wanna put myself through that again.

    I have Hunger Games and 13 Reasons Why on my list too! They'd make great bookclubs picks!!

    Here's my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, The Hunger Games is perfect for all the reasons you explained. I'd love to discuss it with other people because I see it as important. And, I want to read Thirteen Reasons Why because it sounds really good, and I think it'd be interesting to experience a story like that. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHOA. This list is full of awesome! Outlander and the Pink Carnation books are two of my very favorite series of EVER, and I agree that they would be super book club books.
    Lord of Scoundrels sounds RIGHT up my alley and I am looking into it RIGHT NOW. And thank you for reminding me that I need to read 13 Reasons Why and the Darkfever books. I've been wanting to read those for such a long time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower! 13 Reasons Why was amazing! Here is my list if you'd like to follow back: http://theonceandfuturelibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/01/top-ten-tuesday-book-club-selections.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was told I need to read 13 Reasons Why, I will have to read it for sure. Thanks for stopping by my Top 10

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.