Monday, January 9, 2012

REVIEW: "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James

TITLE: Fifty Shades of Grey
AUTHOR: E.L. James
SERIES: Fifty Shades #1
GENRE: Contemporary Romance-Erotica
AUDIENCE: 18+
PUBLISHER: Writer's Coffee Shop
PUBLICATION DATE: May 2011
READ DATE: December 2011
SOURCE: Kindle
SUMMARY: When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.  The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?


MY THOUGHTS:

I've heard some great things about this series so I was a little hesitant to start it.  What if I didn't enjoy it?  Thankfully, my fears were for naught.  This was a unique and engrossing book that I recommend for all fans of contemporary romance as long as they don't mind a bit of spice. 

Christian Grey is the dominating force of this book.  He is the ultimate in tortured hero and it was fascinating to see how his past has effected his present mindset.  Despite his issues, he was very sweet and completely devoted to Ana.  Since this is just the beginning of the series, I have a feeling the reader, and Ana, will get more indepth with his psyche.  It will probably be a dark ride, but Christian seems like he would be worth it.

I was surprised how much I ended up liking Ana.  She was a reliable narrator and fairly realistic in her thinking.  It was really interesting to see Christian and his lifestyle through her "innocent" point of view.  She was appropriately (I thought) appalled and then intrigued by his sexual tastes.  I won't go into much detail about the ending, but I was pleasantly surprised by her reaction to Christian's actions and was applauding her final action.

There were quite a few secondary characters in this story, but there wasn't much depth to them.  They were introduced and I can see that quite a few of them will become important later in the series.  I was particularly intrigued by the characters of Elena aka "Mrs. Robinson" and Christian's butler/bodyguard, Taylor.

The plot was nothing remarkable at first glance, but it kept me entertained and reading until the very end.  E.L. James's writing style is clear and organized.  There were a few moments of unrealistic dialogue, but they were quickly overshadowed my enjoyment of the story.  I am eager for more from this author and this series.

COVER:

Very simplistic, but works perfectly for the story.  The silver tie is very important in the context of Christian and Ana's relationship so I was pleased to see it representing the story.


FAVORITE QUOTE:

“Why don't you like to be touched?" Ana whispered, staring up into soft grey eyes.
"Because I'm fifty shades of fucked-up, Anastasia.”

RATING: 4 Stars

SERIES INFORMATION:

1. Fifty Shades of Grey
2. Fifty Shades Darker
3. Fifty Shades Freed (To Be Released January 2012)

INTERESTING LINKS:

Amazon Kindle Page
Goodreads Page
Author Website

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book, I'm beside myself waiting for Fifty Shades Freed, I can't wait to see if he's a changed man in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.