Friday, January 20, 2012

FOLLOW FRIDAY (12) and TGIF (3)


Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts, Rachel of Parajunkee and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

Q: What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done to get your hands on any particular book?



Probably the "craziest" thing is standing in line for four hours to get Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at midnight.  I remember waiting outside of my neighborhood Borders in the rain until 10:00 when they let us into the store.  There were lots of activities going on inside the store, but my best friend and I headed straight for the register line.  We were tenth in line and just hung out there, talking to people for the next two hours.  Not real crazy, but memorable!

*************************

 For more information about this meme, visit GReads.

This Friday's Question:

Recommend It: Which book from the last 10 you've read 
would you recommend to a friend?
(The Agency #1)
by Y.S. Lee

SUMMARY:
Rescued from the gallows in 1850s London, young orphan (and thief) Mary Quinn is surprised to be offered a singular education, instruction in fine manners — and an unusual vocation. Miss Scrimshaw’s Academy for Girls is a cover for an all-female investigative unit called The Agency, and at seventeen, Mary is about to put her training to the test. Assuming the guise of a lady’s companion, she must infiltrate a rich merchant’s home in hopes of tracing his missing cargo ships. But the household is full of dangerous deceptions, and there is no one to trust — or is there?

Packed with action and suspense, banter and romance, and evoking the gritty backstreets of Victorian London, this breezy mystery debuts a daring young detective who lives by her wits while uncovering secrets, including those of her own past.

WHY I RECOMMEND IT:
I just finished listening to the audio version of this book yesterday and I cannot stop thinking about it.  Mary is an amazing heroine that readers will admire and root for from beginning to end.  I loved her unconventional background and how she uses that to fuel her determination.  The mystery is intriguing and the setting is perfectly detailed.  There is also a hint of future romance that just sizzles from the moment Mary and her mystery man meet.  I loved this so much that I bought the second book and am starting this morning.  Wonderful beginning to what I hope will be a wonderful series!


--WEEKLY RECAP--

TOP TEN TUESDAY: 10 Books I'd Recommend for Non-Romance Readers (link)
MY BOOK BOYFRIEND: Lothaire from Kresley Cole's Lothaire (link)
REVIEW: Slumber by Samantha Young (link)
REVIEW: Lothaire by Kresley Cole (link)
REVIEW: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep (link)





14 comments:

  1. TGIF! The Agency looks like a good book -- I've seen this one at the library, so might go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely sounds like a memorable experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love waiting in line!!!! I don't think I'll ever do it again...if I did it would have to be something signed/limited edition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter seems to be the book people did the craziest things for. And I totally agree it's worth it! I hope you have a happy Friday :)

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, another HP-related moment, ofc. God,I hate waiting in lines, I dunno how you guys do it, lol.

    Following you back, thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to reading this book! The first time I saw it, it caught my interest straight away. Just waiting for the bank account to settle again before I go back to buying books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of readers did some crazy things for HP. Old follower. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Standing in line for Harry Potter, guilty as charged. I just started reading The Agency last night, and I am about half way done! I love it, I cannot wait to pick up the next one! Thanks for sharing, and for stopping by! Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! I totally remember those Harry Potter days! I waited for the midnight release TWICE! For the Half-Blood Prince AND for Deathly Hallows. ^__^ I still have the free poster they gave haha Good times!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, that is crazier than me at least, lol. I never waited in line for a book. I haven't heard of that book you recommended but I will for sure check it out. Thanks for stopping by my blog. New follower.

    Jennifer @ Reading and Writing Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Sounds like a great read! Thanks for rec'ing this one. I put it on my TBR. I love historicals...

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier, and have a good Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Blog! New follower, here’s mine
    http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2012/01/follow-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a great book, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've done the exact same thing in the past! Harry Potter manages to bring out the crazy reader in all of us. :)

    I am a new follower!

    Here is my [Follow Friday Post]

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.