Wednesday, December 21, 2011

MY BOOK BOYFRIEND (18): Peeta Mellark


My Book Boyfriend is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader all about fictional boys who make us swoon.  Due to holiday preparations and the end of semester exams, I have not been very efficient with my reading.  Therefore, I have reached into my back-up bag of yummy literary heroes and picked one at random.  So, this week I am swooning over the boy with the bread himself, Peeta Mellark, from Suzanne Collins's epic Hunger Games trilogy.

About Peeta:
  • He is the son of a baker in District 12 of Panem.
  • He was chosen as a tribute for the 74th annual Hunger Games.
  • He is extremely strong due to years of hauling flour and baking bread.
  • He has had a crush on his fellow tribute, Katniss, since they were young children.
  • Very protective of those he cares about.
Quotes:

"Yes, and I’m sure the arena will be full of bags of flour for me to chuck at people." --Hunger Games


"Do you mean you won't kill anyone?" I ask.
"No, when the time comes, I'm sure I'll kill just like everybody else. I can't go down without a fight. Only I keep wishing I could think of a way to... to show the Capitol they don't own me. That I'm more than just a piece in their Games," says Peeta. --Hunger Games


"I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever."--Catching Fire



"I don't want you forgetting how different our circumstances are. If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You're my whole life." Peeta says. "I would never be happy again. It's different for you. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard. But there are other people who'd make your life worth living." --Catching Fire



"I knew you'd kiss me."
"How?" I say. Because I didn't know myself.
"Because I am in pain," He says, "That's the only way I get your attention."
--Mockingjay



Sometimes, when I'm alone, I take the pearl from where it lives in my pocket and try to remember the boy with the bread, the strong arms that warded off nightmares on the train, the kisses in the arena. To make myself put a name to the thing I've lost. But what's the use? It's gone. He's gone. Whatever existed between us is gone. --Mockingjay


My Peeta:  While I was reading this series, I never had a clear picture of what I thought Peeta should look like.  Gale, yes, but not Peeta.  So when Josh Hutcherson was cast, he became Peeta for me.

And, because there's always time to marvel at this:

9 comments:

  1. Interesting. The same thing happened to me. I couldn't really picture Peeta, though I loved him from the start! I'm still not sure if Josh is my exact Peeta, but he's growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had a great picture of Peeta in my head. Josh doesn't match him but I think he actually makes a really awesome Peeta! I love Gale a bit more but Peeta can be so sweet too!

    Visit My Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peeta and his bread make me happy. I want a Peeta around to bring me cheese rolls everyday!

    I can't stop watching this trailer. I think they have crack in their subliminal messaging because I'm addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God I'm so excited for this movie! Almost as excited as I was for the release of Mockingjay. I always pictured Peeta as Max Theirot but Josh Hutcherson was a close second, so I was seriously excited when he was cast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Peeta. Love him so much. I'm still now 100 per cent convinced on Josh, but I'm coming around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My image of Peeta was pretty close to what Josh looks like, so I'm super happy with the casting of Josh H. in that role. Plus, watching interviews with Josh, you see that he's EXACTLY like Peeta in real life. He even said in an interview that he read The Hunger Games and knew he was Peeta, and that's why he tried to get the role. The only problem was not being blond. I'm so glad the director thought the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One word: Josh-Hutcherson-as-Peeta-is-awesome! Okay. That's more than one, but you get the point. Although I haven't read the Hunger Games Series (which is really sad given that the movie is coming out soon), I can tell that Josh would do justice to Peeta's seemingly awesome character. Plus, Josh is a very good actor, and he's adorable! Awesome BB! Looking forward to the movie!

    New follower:)
    Rockee @Rockee♥Musik♥Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did the same thing! The closest image I had of peeta was actually a cartoon from when I wa a kid...so not very realistic lol...I totally adore Josh though and he seems perfect! I am dying for this movie to come out...I'm having conniption fits just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.