Wednesday, September 14, 2011

RANDOM RECOMMENDATION (1)



This is an event that one of my favorite blogs A Simple Love of Reading does to help get through the middle of the work week.  All you have to do is post about a random book that you've read that you recommend to your readers.  Here is a link to the original post where Amy explains the purpose behind the event. 

Here's my Random Recommendation for September 14, 2011:


The ReplacementTitle: The Replacement
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: September 2010
Description: Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.
Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs.



I first picked up The Replacement at Borders *sniff* because of the cover.  I mean, check that thing out.  The baby carriage and the sharp objects hanging over them...everything just seemed ominous and super creepy.  Then, I read the back blurb and knew I had to try it. 

I won't go too deep into why I love this book so much because this is not a book review.  But, I will say that the point of view of Mackie Doyle is what sets this book apart from all the other YA paranormals out there.  We are completely in the mind of a teenage boy, which is unique in this era of Bella and Katniss.  I also enjoyed the fact that Yovanoff seems to create her own fantasy mythology for this book.  The Replacements remind me a little of the Fae idea of changelings, but not completely.  There is a sense of Celtic folklore throughout, but it is never explicitly labeled as such.

Therefore, if you are looking for a unique YA paranormal or just a pretty cover for your book shelf, I highly recommend Brenna Yovanoff's The Replacement.  And, if you like this book, you can look for Yovanoff's sophomore effort The Space Between.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for stopping by and for participating in Random Recommendation!! I have this book on my TBR pile and I think I need to move it up now!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.