Saturday, September 3, 2011

ON MY WISHLIST (1)


On My Wishlist is a fun weekly event hosted by Book Chick City and runs every Saturday. It's where we list all the books we desperately want but haven't actually bought yet. They can be old, new or forthcoming. It's also an event that you can join in with too.  For my version, I have chosen to showcase one book each from my preferred genres: historical romance, paranormal romance/urban fantasy, & young adult and one from any other genre.


Pemberley Ranch
I am not a huge fan of Jane Austen retellings, but I found a review of this book in the New York Journal of Books that inspired me to add this to my wishlist.  Plus I would like to see how the post-Civil War aspect will add to the romance.

Title: Pemberley Ranch
Author: Jack Caldwell
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Publication Date: December 1, 2010
Description (from Goodreads):
 In the aftermath of the Civil War, the Bennet family has just moved from Ohio to the town of Rosings, Texas, set on creating a fresh start. But their daughter Beth still prefers the familiarity of Ohio to the plains of Texas-that is, until she encounters Will Darcy, the reclusive owner of Pemberley Ranch. Will and Beth are instantly smitten, but pride, prejudice, and a gang of villains determined to take over Rosings threaten to keep them apart. This fresh idea in the world of Jane Austen retellings brings together the world of Pride and Prejudice with the struggles of the antebellum South.


Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
I just read the first book in this series Hounded and my review is pending.  I loved Atticus and his dog Oberon so I can't wait for more!  I heard about it from Danielle's Book Thoughts.

Title: Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles #1)
Author: Kevin Hearne
Publisher: Del Ray
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
Description (from Goodreads):
Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn’t care much for witches. Still, he’s about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty—when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they’re badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II.
With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor’s rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked the wrong Druid to hex.


Current Books in Series:
1. Hounded
2. Hexed
3. Hammered

The cover of this young adult book is what first caught my attention.  Then I read the Goodreads description and I loved the concept of the camp of paranormal teenagers. 

Title: Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1)
Author: C.C. Hunter
Publisher: St. Martin's
Publication Date: March 29, 2011
Description (from Goodreads):
One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever.  Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.”  Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.
Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either.  Or does she?  They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason.  As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas.  Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past.  Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart. 
Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…



I am sad to admit that I haven't read this book yet, but I am determined to buy it and read it before the end of 2011. 

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Publisher: Knopf Books
Publication Date: March 14, 2006
Description (from Goodreads):
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .
Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she can't resist- books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.
With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.


4 comments:

  1. Great picks! I recently finished reading Born at Midnight and I loved it! :)

    Amy's Wishlist
    Check out my Summer Favorties Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hexed looks intense. I'm looking forward to reading Born At Midnight as well.

    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh Born at Midnight looks great and I hadn't heard of that one. Great picks! New follower.
    Here is my wishlist:http://myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com/2011/09/on-my-wishlist-13.html
    Have a great week, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book Thief is one of my favourite books ever, hope you get to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah comments!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I will try to reply to your comments as soon as possible.